The 8 Day Week

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Four day weekends are fantastic things. They’re like mini holidays. The best part is that you end up with this really fantastic two weeks where you work four days, rest four days, work four days. I think that this would make a much more pleasurable work routine than the old five days work, two days rest.

I’ve always advocated the idea of the 8 day week. I thought that working five then having three off would be good. But after being reminded how awesome four days on, four days off is, I’ve changed my mind and will be pushing for a different kind of 8 day week.

I’ll just add public holidays to the list of things I love about April. We have another long weekend coming up for ANZAC Day too. April is such a great month.


The only thing that has really thrown me off during this long weekend is daylight savings. On Sunday we shifted the clocks back an hour and ever since then I’ve been running an hour early on everything. I’ve been out of bed at 6am instead of 7, eaten lunch at 11:30 instead of 12:30, had dinner at 6 instead of 7. I hurried KJ out of his Sunday morning sleep in because I thought we only had an hour until we had to leave for our family Easter celebration, but we actually had two. Oops.

Even now, I ‘m still getting time mixed up. The office clock hasn’t been changed, so I keep thinking it’s an hour later than it really is. I’ve glanced at the clock 20 or 30 times today and every single time I do I get excited that there’s not long to go until work is done, then almost immediately am disappointed because I realise that the clock is out by an hour. I think the hardest hour will be when the clock says 5:00 (home time) but I have to stay until it says 6:00. Right now it says 4:45 and that’s already pretty hard. Maybe a four day weekend isn’t such a great thing – it just makes getting re-motivated for work that much harder.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

8 day weeks are perfect. I've always loved the Idea of 4 work days and 4 days off.

Post a Comment