The USA v Australia - Round 2 - Water

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

One of the first things that I did when I got to my hotel in San Francisco was to take a long, hot shower. Hours and hours of travel grime combined with the subtle anxiety caused by being away from home all needed to be washed away. That was the first of many long, relaxing showers that I took in those first 5 days of my trip.

Big mistake really, because as it turns out the water in San Fran is HEAVILY chlorinated.

I spent the best part of the rest of the trip with sore, very red eyes. I looked like I was permanently hung over - and though for a good deal of the trip, I probably WAS a little hung over, it would have been nice to have the enjoyment that comes before getting to that stage.

What this chemical-filled water also did was irritate my skin in a really horrible way. All that chlorine, combined with the chafing of my jeans on my legs because of all the touristy walking made for some very sensitive skin. Sexy,I know.

People in Australia are always banging on about how we have some of the best quality drinking water in the world, and for the first time, I can truly appreciate that.

When I returned to Australia, the shower felt absolutely soft by comparison to the harsh water in the USA - almost silky on my skin. And within two days, my hyper-sensitive skin was back to normal.

So this round definitely goes to Australia, because even though I'm sure I would eventually get used to the chlorinated water, I wouldn't like to spend the time having a chapped ass until I did.


After Round #2
USA - 1
Australia - 1

6 comments:

Juel said...

I really enjoyed reading this article. I live in the United States and let me tell you about my experience with the water in my house. Well my kitchen sink would not run no matter how high I tried it on. Only a few drops would come out. The landlords son can out and replaced the faucet. He brought the old one to me and told me the utility company puts a lot of calcium in the water. Then he showed me the faucet. It was complete solid all the way through. Calcium build up is what it was. It scared me to death. I want to also mention that I found your blog by clicking the next blog link on the blogger search bar. Your layout got my attention.

Unknown said...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Double O said...

Its true that in general, the smaller the towns, the friendlier the people are. But you should visit Canada sometime. You'll be presently surprised ;)

Vishnu Madhusudhanan Nair said...

True.

Poetess said...

It's sad but reverse osmosis may help .....

Poetess said...

It's sad but reverse osmosis may help .....

Post a Comment