Never trust a man pointing scissor at your head

Friday, July 08, 2011

Last night, I got home from work a little after six. No sooner had I walked in the door and made myself a cup of tea than my I got a phone call from my hairdresser saying I had an appointment at six and asking was I still coming? I hate, hate HATE being late (I have issues with time), but he assured me that he could still fit me in if I could get there as quickly as possible, so I hot-footed it out the door leaving my cup of tea to go cold on the bench.

I made it there in record time (while driving responsibly, of course) and arrived breathless; plonked myself into the nearest chair and began the long process of hair beautification. I apologised what felt like a million times for forgetting the appointment, and they waved my apologies off,reassuring me with phrases like ‘these things happen’ and ‘don’t stress about it, it’s no big deal’. And so my hairdressing experience went on as per the norm.


Now, while I was in the chair, and even after I got home, my hair looked fine. In fact, I’ve never had a bad haircut from this place; it’s the reason I keep going back.

But this morning, when I woke up and wandered past the mirror, I did a little bit of a double-take. ‘Bill Ray Cyrus?’ I asked in wonder.

Nope, definitely just me. Me, with a haircut that had a mullet-ish kind of quality about it. But I was in a hurry, so I quickly tied it back as best I could, and headed to work.


Now I’m not sure if it was just crazy morning hair and if it will be better when I get home tonight. And there are no mirrors in the building here so I can’t really check it out until then.

But there is this slight lingering worry niggling at me, telling me that maybe I wasn’t imagining things. And maybe my mullet is no accident. Maybe this haircut is the hairdresser’s way of saying ‘I’ll teach you to keep me waiting!’ Is that possible? Do people do that sort of thing? And if they do, is it on purpose, or by accident? Did he subconsciously mullet-ise me without realising?

And most importantly, what the hell am I going to do if it turns out I really do have a mullet?! I’m not sure I have the voice to be a country singer.

4 comments:

said...

As a bellman, I can say that when a guest tells me "I'll catch you later," (meaning giving me a tip) but they don't even know or ask my name, they often finish their book (that was in their carry-on tote bag) only to find the last page or two ripped out. It's a weird, unexplainable phenomenon. In your case, I think your hairdresser sent you a message.
Keith Urban rocks. For a country singer who probably had his share of mullets.

Carrie said...

I hope you were imagining it. That would suck! It would be a pretty poor way to establish customer retention since no one would go back to a revenge seeking hairdresser.

torrygirl said...

Having checked it out the next day, I don't think it's on purpose. It has potential to be mullet-esque, but I'm choosing to believe it's accidental.

Tyge - I'm choosing to believe you're joking about the books. Not because of the revenge issue, but more because ripping pages out of books is one of those things that is drilled into me as being incredibly wrong, and even thinking about it makes me cringe!

cynical.girl said...

Love your blogs ~ I wonder stuff like that too. Especially after I've heard stories from former waitresses about what happens to food.
As far as the treatment of books...I feel guilty if I dog ear a page from a library book.

Post a Comment