3 Weeks In

Friday, November 14, 2008

It's the end of my third week in the new job and I think I’m finally getting into the swing of things. It's still a little weird working with so many men, but I think I’m getting used to it. It's a lot less social than working with women - unless, of course, you fancy talking about cars all day.

It's also a bit strange because they have very different policies on things than they did in my last job. At the last place, you pretty much had free reign to organise whatever you thought the company needed. Here, they had an entire meeting because I suggested that perhaps having a company letterhead might be a good idea and they had to discuss whether having a printed letterhead would change the way their customers viewed their business. Personally, I have to say that I wouldn't think twice about a letter on company letterhead, but I would think twice about spending $60K with a company whose quote looked like it had been printed by a primary school student. So it's a bit of an adjustment trying to get used to fighting to get basic things done.

More interestingly, we started organising some of the more formal parts of our wedding this week. We spoke to the minister that will be marrying us and signed some of the paperwork. It was a truly weird experience, speaking to someone other than KJ about why we care about each other so much and why we want to get married. It's the kind of stuff that comes easily when you speak to each other, but it's a bit embarrassing when you have to tell someone else. Normally, people just accept that if you're a couple, then you love each other - they don't ask you to explain it all. I guess it's all just part of the whole wedding thing - in a couple of months we'll be saying it all in front of 140 of our friends and family, so I need to get used to it!

3 comments:

Andaloo said...

Good to hear the job's going well...assuming "well" is the right word. Maybe we should have a meeting to decide on the exact wording of this?

As for the wedding plans, count yourself lucky! I'm told here in Spain the bride and groom have to meet the priest for several weeks before the wedding for lessons in life as a married couple, including what to expect sexually. Yes, I did say "expect".

torrygirl said...

I think that the minister who is marrying us usually does that too (minus the sexual expectations part of course!) but i think we're sort of exempted from it because he's a friend of the family.

I wonder what kind of tips on sex one would get from a priest?

Andaloo said...

Hmm I wonder? Perhaps the suggestion to get your wife an altar boy costume to "help things along".

I don't want to make you nervous...but...being married by a friend of the family makes me think of Rowan Atkinson. GULP!

Post a Comment