Swap a little small talk?

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Today I spoke to one of the guys who installs the playgrounds at work. I’ve never met him (I think he’s based somewhere in Sydney) and today was the first time I’ve ever spoken to him. I rang him at the boss’s request and using the boss’s phone because work calls are free between mobiles. The conversation went something like this:

Him: 'Hi Boss-Man'

Me: ‘Actually it’s Torrygirl'

Him: ‘Oh, g’day Torrygirl, how’s your day going?’ as though we had been introduced and knew each other well.

I would love to be able to be that at ease with new people. I’ve thought about it a bit and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m no good at small talk. I seem to be missing the small talk gene. Maybe it’s something that skips a generation. I might end up having excessively chatty children and nothing to talk to them about.

It’s because of this hideous genetic deficiency that I always find myself at a loss when it comes to meeting new people. I think this is why my relationship with KJ has worked so well over the years, because my shortcomings are his strengths. He is a masterful small-talker. He can talk about anything, anytime and never seems to create the kind of awkward silences that I seem to be able to elicit from people.

A good example of this is a family function we went to. We don’t see KJ’s family very often, so it was a lot of new people, hence a lot of social small talk was required. I spotted a Great-Uncle sitting on his own and I gathered together some kind of flimsy small talk plan in order to give this ‘getting to know a new person’ thing a go. The plan mostly involved talking about the weather. And as that’s the strongest plan I could think of, you can probably see how pitiful my small talk skills truly are. Also, the fact that I have to plan my small talk is a big clue.

That conversation went a little like this.

Him: 'Hello dear.'

Me (Thinking that speaking as though we’d met before might help the conversation along): 'Hello, how have you been?'

Him: 'Oh, well I’ve been in to the eye hospital and my eye was playing up and blah blah blah pus, blah blah blah festering, blah blah blah seeping everywhere!'

Me: (trying not to gag openly) 'Oh um, er, well…'

Enter KJ to flex his incredible small talking skills to ask the small, conversation moving questions that even now when I’m thinking back on this elude me. See! I can’t even small talk on paper.

I need to take a small talk class. Or maybe there’s somewhere where I can change some big talk for a bunch of small talk. I wonder what the exchange rate is on big talk to small talk?

Does anyone have any pointers to help me learn how to master this skill? Or am I a sad, lost cause in the world of talking about weather, health and whatever else it is that people talk about when they don’t really have anything to say?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Basically, people love to talk about themselves. Just ask them questions and they will make the conversation go. "Where'd you get that lovely dress/haircut/shirt? What have you been up to this week? What do you think about latest news story? Did you hear about latest hot fad?"

I've never been good at small talk, but my resolution in 2008 was to "be vivacious." I just pretended I was fun and happy and could talk to anyone and guess what? I was fun and happy and could talk to anyone. I never expected it to actually work, but I made a ton of friends this year just by talking instead of sitting in the corner wishing I had something to say. It's really been amazing. I always thought I was shy, but really I was just scared of coming across as a fool. I guess everyone has that fear and they are just hoping the other people don't notice.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with you, Torry. I admire those who can easily talk about anything with anyone. Though I have improved a little now, there are still times that I just lack words to say to someone and I just feel stupid at times for trying so hard at it. lol But I still practice my "small talk" skills everyday by having small talks with people I know. Good luck to both of us.

torrygirl said...

Carrie - You're right, I should just get in there and give it a go. I'll have to try out the idea of getting people to talk about themselves - I'm sure I can make that work!

Post a Comment