Glasses - Pros vs. Cons

Friday, December 18, 2009

Now that I’ve had my glasses for a while, I feel like I can make an informed comparison of the benefits of having glasses vs. not having them. It’s only been a little while, but I’ve noticed a few things about them that I never thought about before. So I’ve made a little pros vs cons list, in case anyone is thinking they might need to get glasses and is having trouble making a decision about it.


Pros
• Apparently having glasses increases my appeal to the opposite sex. This was very unexpected. Who would have thought that so many men secretly have a thing for librarians/school teachers/secretaries?

• If I were to suddenly develop a super power, my secret identity would be safe thanks to the disguising powers of glasses. I can only assume this disguise would be more effective when used by a female superhero than a male because of point 1.

• Despite the fact that it’s clearly not always the case, people still seem to believe that people with glasses are smarter. As a result, I am taken more seriously while wearing them.

• I can see things properly now. I don’t have to hunch over the steering wheel like an old lady when it rains and squint at the road while guessing (rather than knowing) that I’m in my own lane.


Cons
• I keep getting busted looking at people because I’m used to watching people from behind my sunglasses where they can’t see me looking. I still haven’t gotten to the point where I remember all the time that my glasses are clear...

• I am at greater risk of becoming the dispensable extra should I suddenly be sucked into a movie-style action situation. Now that I have glasses, I am more likely to be the person who falls down while running away from the bad guy and has her glasses trampled by the fleeing crowd, leaving me to be picked off easily. Don’t believe me? Watch ‘The Mummy’ and see what happens to the guy with glasses in that.

• I have to wear them more often than I would like. If I don’t wear them in the supermarket, I can’t read the little signs that stick out from the aisle to tell me what’s down there. This makes me feel kind of old. I was hoping the downhill slide would start a little later in life than this.


So those are the things that I’ve noticed so far. At the moment the pros outweigh the cons, which is good. I mean, at this stage of the process, it doesn’t really matter, because I already have the glasses, but who knows? My sight could miraculously return to me and then a list like this would be incredibly helpful. You never know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment