Mac Time

Thursday, December 03, 2009

This week KJ got an iMac. We’ve always been a PC household, so this is kind of a big deal. We’ve been PC people because we’re nerds and we like to change around our computers all the time, and PC’s are a lot more budget friendly for chopping and changing than Macs are.
As KJ has told people about his new computer, the whole Mac vs PC thing has come up, with the Mac people banging on about how wonderful the iMac is and how crap PC’s are, and the PC people going “yeah, whatever....hippy.”

To be honest, straight out of the box the thing is pretty impressive. It’s so neat and tidy and spiffy looking and it only has one cable. But then, I guess you expect it to be for what you pay for it. I would kind of like to have one, because my nerdy skill is being able to learn to use any kind of computer program that I come across within about 15 mins, and the idea of a whole new OS seems like a good challenge.

The last time I used a Mac was when I was about 10, and they were still ‘Macintosh’. They definitely weren’t super slick looking then - they were big hunks of grey plastic, and the logo was still that stripy, rainbow apple.

It would be cool to have a bit of a play with a new one, but given the price tag, I think maybe I’ll be sticking with the good old PC.
With KJ being a Mac guy now and me being PC, do you think our family photos will start to look a bit like this?:



3 comments:

said...

Oh sheesh. Don't go there. Don't have a Mac-Attack. Yes, it is a great comuputer, but only if you're really serious about your computer and want to re-learn everything. A good friend of mine is a "Mac-Daddy" and we have fun jibbing each other about the differences. I'm really not against Macs, but it's the people that own them that bother me.

said...

Noticing I had at least one spelling error on my previous comment, I felt compelled to leave another.

If you truly think you're nerds, there's nothing wrong with Macs.

Just remember, newly purchased librarian-style glasses don't necessarily make you a nerd.

Carry on.

T

torrygirl said...

You know I think you're right - it's mostly the people who own them that get to me rather than the computers themselves.

After using it, it seem like a dumbed down version of a computer - you just click a button and it kind of expects you to accept that it secretly works out how to do everything without telling you what it's doing...

Post a Comment