Impulse Buy

Sunday, May 09, 2010

The reason for my total slackness in posting this week is that I've been pretty sick. I've had tonsillitis or something, which means pretty much feeling like crap all of the time. Thankfully I'm heading back to feeling alright now.

After feeling half dead for the entire start of the week, I finally got around to going to the doctors on Thursday and he gave me a prescription for some drugs. I went to the pharmacy to get it filled and as per usual I had to sit down and wait for it to be ready. As I sat there, I found myself facing a wall of products. After a while, I noticed that they seemed to have a kind of common theme in that they all seemed to relate to issues of the bowel/intestinal kind. They had regular-ish things for upset stomachs and what not, but also some odd things like some kind of liquid that helps stop excessive farting and things for haemorrhoids and constipation.

I had to wonder what kind of pharmacy would put this crap right in your eye line knowing that you would have to stare at it for so long. Then the elderly fellow who was sitting next to me got up when his name was called, and on his way past he grabbed a bottle of antacid. That's when I realised - this is the pharmacy version of the impulse buy item! In a supermarket, it's candy bars and magazines, in a pharmacy, which is frequented by more elderly people than any other age group, the impulse buys are targeted at them and their weak bladders and excessive cabbage consumption!

How did I never notice this before? Now I have to wonder what other places have impulse buy items targeted at specific markets like this that I've never noticed before. I'm going to keep an eye out everywhere I go now just to see if there are other businesses that do this same thing, or if I've just come across a pharmacist who also seems to be super business-savvy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment