V8 Conversation

Thursday, May 08, 2008

The guy who works in the factory at my work is a V8 Supercar fan. I am an F1 fan (of the vague, watch it when it's on but not obsess over it like a boy kind of way). I also happen to drive a 30 year old V8. Somehow, factory man got it into his head that because i enjoy some form of car racing and because i drive a classic car, that i also follow the Supercars. Sadly, this couldn't be further from the truth. I have no interest in them at all and wouldn't even have the slightest clue who the drivers are.

He often comes to me and says things along the lines of 'did you see in the news about the V8's...?' and then follows this with some titbit of information about the V8 cars or drivers that has recently made headlines. I told him the first few time that I didn't really follow the V8's, but i think he must have gone selectively deaf when I mentioned it, because he keeps coming back to ask me if I've seen the latest news, and now I don't have the heart to tell him that I have no idea what he's on about.

Instead I've developed a kind of system of skirting around his 'news' so that it sounds as if I'm making knowledgeable conversation about it, when really I'm just rephrasing what he has just told me and adding some kind of comparison with the F1's. I'm not sure how long this is going to last. Surely at some point he's going to realise that I have no idea what he's talking about and I will have to confess that I've merely been humouring him for the past 6 months. And I don't think I could just come right out and tell him. Maybe I'll have to start watching the V8's just so that I know what he's talking about...

0 comments:

Post a Comment