The Continuing Adventures of Ingrid & Boris

Saturday, September 13, 2008

At the end of last year, I attended the wedding of Ingrid and Boris. I've know Ingrid since high school (which I realised this weekend was a scarily long time ago), but we don't get to catch up as much as we used to. She's the kind of friend that I usually catch up with at parties and special events like weddings and birthdays, and occasionally I’ll send her an email to see what she's up to and how she and Boris are doing. I've sent her a few emails since her wedding, and she's responded briefly. I imagined that she was busy setting up her new life in the USA with her husband Boris (whose accent makes me giggle even when I’m just thinking about it.)
Her answers about what was going on with her were kind of vague, but then she's never really been the kind of person to elaborate on anything without a little bit of prodding.
It has been almost 10 months since her wedding, so naturally I was pretty shocked when I received an invitation for her going away party!! She hasn't even left the country yet!
That's right - her husband went back to the USA not long after their honeymoon, and she settled in here to wait for her visa to be approved so that she could go and live with him. Her HUSBAND. It has taken a little over 9 months for her Visa to be approved. All this time I thought she was living her happy little family life with Boris over in California, and instead she's sitting here as a newlywed without her husband.
Ingrid and Boris met online, so I guess this is familiar territory for them, but I can’t think of anything worse than marrying the love of your life and then living in different countries for 10 months. I imagine it would kind of put a dampener on married life, although it would stop the arguments about who should take the rubbish out and whose turn it is to wash the dishes.
I also have to wonder what it would be like to be married to someone that you had never lived with for any decent amount of time. The longest they’ve lived together is about 3 months, and everyone knows that it takes at least that long to stop pretending that you care about being tidy or replacing the toilet roll when you use the last of it. It will be interesting to see how they’re going when they finally do get together.
At least now they are finally going to be together again. Congratulations Ingrid & Boris!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the whole thing's a cover up. He could be a spy and she could be a double agent. They didn't "meet" online, it was all planned and the boring pets are a decoy.

Post a Comment