Random Facts as Promised

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Yesterday I said that I would share something random about myself that most people wouldn’t know. At the time, I hadn’t really thought of anything, but thought to myself - really, how hard can it be to admit that I’m a weirdo? Apparently not that hard at all, because it turns out that I’ve already shared most of the random things about myself that other people might find odd, such as:

  • My freakish and totally inexplicable love of Eurovision
  • My embarrassing inability to wink
  • My extreme dislike of exercise (yes, apparently that makes me weird, although I’m still not sure why)
  • The fact that I might possibly be the only person ever to admit that they enjoy painting their house
  • My high level of social retardation and the fact that I’m incapable of making small talk

But I did manage to think up another couple of things that I’m willing to confess to that might make you laugh (at me, of course – not with me). I can’t, however, make any guarantees that they’ll be any more interesting than my previously confessed random facts. But then again, I never promised anything interesting, only truthful, so here we go.

Random Fact #1
I don’t wear socks. Ever. In fact, I rarely ever even wear shoes that require socks – if you don’t do any exercise you never need to wear runners, so it’s not really an issue. I’m not even sure if I own a pair of socks at all.

Random Fact #2
I am hopeless at learning song lyrics. For a period of about three years I sang loudly along to ‘April Sun in Cuba’ with absolutely no idea what the words or the title of the song were. Since ‘April Sun in Cuba’ doesn’t actually sound like any other sentence, I just sang nonsense words. I was actually a little disappointed to find out what the lyrics were in the end.

Random Fact #3
I can fold an origami paper crane without any instructions. Also an origami hat, but that’s not quite as impressive. It’s as a result of reading ‘Sadako & the Thousand Paper Cranes’ when I was about 7 years old. I remember that reading the book made me immensely sad in a very un-7-year-old kind of way, and to this day whenever I fold one I still get a little teary.


There, now don’t you feel like you know me a little better and like you might want to confess to a few random facts of your own?

3 comments:

said...

Because of the A-bomb thing, I can fold peace cranes too. I cut crossword puzzles out of the paper (because they're square) and since they're also symmetrical, the black & white squares make a unique pattern on the crane.

Other than that, I've only been in a Starbucks once and only wanting an ice tea, I FREAKED OUT at all the different options of tea they offered.

said...

Seriously, I just wanted a glass of just ICED TEA.

torrygirl said...

You're definitely not alone on the Starbucks thing - I'm pretty sure that's the entire reason that they closed down Starbucks in Australia - too many choices. Australians are generally too laid back to want to make any decision beyond 'white coffee' or 'iced tea'.

The crossword cranes thing sounds like a good idea, that would look pretty cool.

Post a Comment