Crazy Over CCTV

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A week or so ago, this horrible and kind of odd thing happened here in Australia where a woman on a train platform got distracted for a second, and the pram with her 6 month old baby in it rolled onto the train tracks just as the train came into the station – and the baby survived without barely a scratch on it.

Yesterday I finally saw the CCTV footage of it happening and I must be going crazy because I had nightmares about it all last night. I’m not sure what it is about it that bothers me so much given that the baby survived – I think it’s the fact that I’m a bit weird-ed out by babies and their fragility. Maybe it was watching the mother freak the fuck out after it happens (understandably). Or possibly it’s because of that hopeless feeling you get when you’re watching something horrible about to happen and knowing that you can’t stop it. Either way, who wants to see that happening no matter how fortunate the outcome was?

I’m pretty sure that what makes me even crazier than having nightmares is that my other thought on seeing the footage was ‘Damn that must have been a super strong pram, I wonder what brand it was?’

2 comments:

said...

That footage was played quite a bit here in the States too. I kept thinking, "What if there was a cute little mouse on the track and the pram fell on him and crushed his little bones?!?"

It wouldn't have been such the happy ending then.

torrygirl said...

People don't think enough about those sorts of things before dropping their prams willy-nilly onto train tracks like that.

Although, if you were a mouse, would you rather be hit by the pram or by the train?

Post a Comment