Embarrassing Illnesses (not mine, luckily)

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Because, thanks to the magic of Foxtel, we have a hundred and something TV channels, last night I was able to watch a lovely show called “Embarrassing Illnesses”.

The gist of the show was that people who had what would be considered embarrassing illnesses went to see doctors who helped them out while explaining how they shouldn’t be embarrassed because these sorts of things are so common. I got to see wonderful things like bad breath, ingrown foot warts, a penis with an almost 45 degree bend (!!), a woman with a prolapse (yet another possible joy to having a baby that I didn’t need to know about) and a man with a third nipple.

Obviously the people on the show can’t have been too embarrassed by their illnesses, because they allowed themselves to be filmed and broadcast worldwide – and in particular the woman with the prolapse showed waaaaay more of her problem than I wanted to see. And yet, the man with the wonky what-not had his bits pixellated out. Odd. Maybe it was personal patient choice.

You have to wonder what kind of TV producer comes up with this stuff. Was he a man with an embarrassing illness of his own? Perhaps the entire show was an elaborate way for him to find out about his illness without actually having to see a doctor himself. And what kind of audience were they trying to cater to? It can’t just be people like me who are channel hopping and left it on while waiting for something good to start. Surely that isn’t a valid category of viewers that people try to cater to.

Perhaps I shouldn’t try to think too far into the reasoning behind it – after all, I think the quality of the program is summed up by the point where the buff and bronzed ‘Dr Christian’ took it upon himself to inform beach-goers about the risk of skin cancer and proceeded to slather sunscreen all over two young bikini clad girls.

Quality programming.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

We have a channel here that does things like A Baby Story during the day, but during the weekends? All really gross illness stuff. The boy who gave birth to his twin. The man who turned into a tree. The woman without a brain. I guess there is an audience. People just can't look away. It grosses me out, but sometimes I have to watch "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant" because I just can't imagine not knowing.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Now I must go and see if I have this channel too. This could possibly be my new favorite show!

torrygirl said...

Carrie,
I was reading that and thinking how bizarre a whole channel of that stuff would be - and then I checked it out and realise we have that channel too!! They're showing the tree man documentary this week!

Also, I knew a girl who didn't realise she was pregnant until she was about 7 months in. But I can't imagine going the full 9 months
and not having any idea...


Sweet-Britches,
I think it's called the 'health' channel or something, but I think it's just called that because 'the gross documentary channel' is harder to fit on a snazzy logo.

Post a Comment