An Apology to my Thumb

Monday, June 29, 2009

Last might I did a Michael Scott and burnt myself on a George Foreman Grill. Luckily, I wasn’t frying bacon on the floor at the time, so it was my thumb rather than my foot, but it was incredibly painful. Just a word to the wise – Don’t grab hold of the appliance without first checking whether the part you’re grabbing is part of the hotplate or not.

I did that stupid thing where you grab something hot, but because your mind was expecting it to be cold, you hang onto it for a little while before your brain registers and screams “Let GOOOOO!!!!!! HHHHHHHOT!” So now my thumb has a strange grill mark across it and has gone kind of numb and shiny looking.

You don’t really realise the true importance of your thumb until you can no longer use it. Try unbuttoning your jeans without using your thumb – not an easy task. I also never realised how often you push buttons on things until my thumb was out of action. The microwave, the TV remote, the car key, the spacebar as I’m writing this...
Your thumb is really a very hard working part of your anatomy and I think it deserves a bit of credit for this.

So thanks, Thumb. Sorry about whole burning incident – I’ll be more careful next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment