Hangovers, Angels & Demons

Friday, June 26, 2009

I’m going to see a movie with my mum tonight. I can’t even remember the last time we did something like this together. Probably when I was 14 – so I guess that makes it about 13 or 14 years ago. That’s half a lifetime ago. I guess as I got older, the sort of time spent with my mum changed. We do more things as a family group and less as a mother/daughter; More family dinners and less of the one-on-one stuff. We go shopping together sometimes, but usually only with a purpose, never just for the fun of it.

This will be the second time in the last week that I’ve been to see a movie. For a long time we were saving like crazy for the wedding and we had zero spare time, zero spare cash and therefore zero social life. It’s nice to be able to do things like this again.

A friend and I went to see ’The Hangover’ last week and honestly I was pretty surprised at how funny it was. You sort of expect movies like that to have a few funny moments and a lot more questionable moments, but this was pretty consistently funny throughout. The session we were in was packed – there were very few spare seats and quite often you couldn’t hear what was going on in the movie because everyone was laughing so much. I think an atmosphere like that adds to how funny the movie seems – it’s a little odd to laugh out loud in an empty cinema because it makes you seem kind of crazy.

Tonight we’re going to see Angels and Demons. Honestly I don’t expect it to be all that good but it’s what my mum wanted to see and it does hold a little bit of interest for me.

I’ll read pretty much anything I can get my hands on and Angels and Demons was one of those books. I like to try and see films that are based on books just to see how the casting stacks up against the way I imagined the characters would look. I’m also hoping that the film flows a little better towards the end than the book did.
I guess we’ll see tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment