Buckets of Rain

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Yesterday the bottom of my street was submerged in a flowing river of rainwater. Some kind of bizarre flash flood type rain jumped out of the sky and soaked all of Melbourne from head to toe. It’s not such a bad thing, since we’re in the middle of a pretty severe drought – I just wish it would rain into the catchments a little more and onto my lounge room carpet a little less.

I spent half an hour during the most torrential part of the rain holding a bucket to the lounge room window in a vain attempt to catch the water that was streaming in thanks to the blocked drain pipe outside. I was soaked within minutes, but at least I got a good view of the bizarre river that was flowing through the front yard of the people across the road. We live on a street that is sort of on the side of a hill - our house is way above street level and the people across the road are way below street level. This means that while they were submerged in a brown, frothy tide of rain water, I was standing at my window watching the water flow down our steep driveway and add to the river below.

If I was a better blogger, I would have taken a photo of the river and posted it here you could see how bad it really was. As it turns out, holidays have made me lazy and unmotivated and to be honest, the only reason I’ve managed to blog at all is because I have a laptop computer and I didn’t have to get up from the couch to do it. I figure this is ok, because that’s what holidays are all about – not leaving the couch without a good, solid reason.

I’m going to have to get myself motivated to get off the couch, because with Christmas day coming up very soon, I have a lot to do. This year I’ve decide that I’m going to bake, and I thought that in aid of trying something new and different I’m going to bake a pumpkin pie. I have a recipe from Carrie that I’m going to have a go at. Sadly for me it will be a lot more work because in Australia we have a devastatingly limited selection of canned vegetables, so I’m going to have to purée my own pumpkins.

It should be interesting given that I’ve never done this before, but it’s worth a go, I think. Every Aussie that I’ve spoken to who has tried pumpkin pie has hated it, so I’m beginning to thing that maybe pumpkin pie is a taste that Americans are conditioned into liking – much like Aussies and Vegemite. It could be very disappointing.

I’ll let you know.

5 comments:

OzBurger said...

Well, we will forgive you for not posting a photo. But we will expect better work in future.

How are the dam levels now days? Are the water restrictions still bad as when I left in Mar 2006?

torrygirl said...

The dam levels in Melbourne are pretty bad - 39%. In '06 I think they were at about 45%.

We're on something called level 3a water restrictions in Melbourne. It means no car washing, no lawn watering & if you waste water, they restrict your water supply.

In Queensland they're not even allowed to use their baths. I'll definitely miss the baths if we step up to Level 4 restrictions...

C. Andiron said...

I've been fascinated by the concept of Vegemite for some time (I'm from New York). Why would anyone take leftover yeast and turn it into salty black paste? It seems absurd. Also, yeast is a fungus, not a vegetable. I've resolved to try it at least once before I die.

There is also apparently a comedy called Vegemite Tales that is not a parody of Veggie Tales.

torrygirl said...

Well when you put it like that, Vegemite does sound pretty horrible. When I was little all the kids used to say that they made it by scraping the gunk off the floor in the factory and bottling it.

It's worth trying though, they sell it in New York here

It's best if you have it on toast with lots of butter - but don't spread the Vegemite on thick, it's too intensely flavoured. Just a tiny bit is enough.

C. Andiron said...

Thanks for the tip! It was was strange at first, a bit like medicine, but a lot like beef bouillon - not bad at all.

It didn't register at first, but then I found out Myer's of Keswick's the home of Molly the Cat, although I didn't see her when she was there.

Oh well. Have a Merry one.

Post a Comment