Two Christmases

Thursday, December 27, 2007

As I mentioned in a previous post, we're having two Christmases this year.

1st Christmas was regular christmas - December 25th with my parents & sister; grandparents; aunties, uncles and cousins.
2nd Christmas is with all of these people again, minus my grandparents, as my grandfather isn't well enough - because, as he puts it, he's going down the gurgler. 2nd Christmas will also include my brother, his wife and their 3 year old daughter. They spent Christmas in England with her family this year, which means that we get 2nd Christmas once they get back in mid-January.

I think it's just because everyone missed spoiling my niece, who is the most loveable, pretty and well behaved child I have ever come across in my life. This is despite the fact that she's the only grandchild so is therefore incredibly spoilt. I know you think I'm biased because she's my niece, but if you met her, you would agree.

She's such a good kid that I've actually considered just stealing her instead of ever trying to have kids of my own. I believe it's completely as a result of my sister-in law, who is an amazing mother and has a freakish 6th sense that tells her exactly what the appropriate reaction to her child's behaviour is. It's not normal. Everyone knows you're supposed to screw up your first two kids and then just let the third one do whatever they want because by then you're over the effort.

Anyway, the point that I was getting at is that because of this wonderful child, I get to have two Christmases. That means two gigantic christmas meals, two lots of presents and two lots of cheap christmas bon-bons/crackers with dodgy jokes and paper hats. And as my christmas present to my niece is a box of dress-ups, i'm guessing that we'll all be enjoying our meals, presents and crackers while wearing big fake witches noses and clown wigs.

It's going to be fun.

2 comments:

Badaunt said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a marvelous sister-in-law? I also have one, and she's practically the only person in my family I'm not embarrassed to introduce to friends.

The only problem is her fearlessness. (My brother's 30th birthday present to her was a double bungy jump, and she was delighted.) The kids seem to have inherited the reckless genes from both parents, which means they are both little tearaways. When I stay with them I lose my cool after a few hours of racing to stop the wee one from leaping off the balcony to see what happens, or the older one from encouraging him, and other similarly terrifying adventures, whereas she remains as calm as a rock. She never panics. I am in a constant state of panic when I'm there.

I don't know how she does it.

Badaunt said...

Oh, and I forgot to say:

MERRY CHRISTMAS! HAPPY NEW YEAR! MERRY CHRISTMAS! (Since you're having (have had, will have) two.)

Post a Comment