Reunion

Monday, November 09, 2009

This weekend just past was my 10 year high school reunion. I opted not to go, and instead spent the evening with a friend from high school who I actually kept in touch with. The whole idea of revisiting people that I’ve spent 10 years forgetting about just seemed so....well, stupid I guess. If I really cared what they were doing with their lives and them me, wouldn’t we still be in touch already?


I didn’t really get along with many people in my year level when I was at high school – all my friends were older, so there are very few people that I can even remember clearly. The only ones that stand out in my mind are the bullies, and I can’t say I had any particular desire to catch up with them. High school bullies have this odd notion that no matter how evil the things they did at school may be, time absolves them of all responsibility. I’m pretty sure the saying ‘time heals all wounds’ was made up by a bully who didn’t fancy apologising to 60 or 70 full grown adults with 10 year grudges against them.

I had a look at some of the photos that have appeared on Facebook since the weekend and I still don’t feel like I missed anything. We’re all just fatter and for the boys (and some girls!) hairier versions of our High School selves, so what is there to add? Husband and baby names that I will have forgotten by the 20 year reunion? Jobs and hobbies that you can only really nod and smile about? I’m crap at small talk at the best of times, so I can’t imagine what I would have to say to most of these people. Although judging by the photos, most of the night would have been spent saying “And who are you again?”


You’ll have to forgive me here; I’m having a very cynical day today. I might just leave it there for now and post again later tonight once the Photo5 finalists have been announced.

1 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm with you. I didn't go to my 10 year and have no desire to ever go to any reunion. Those people are not my friends.

Post a Comment