Cheating on Old Reliable

Saturday, November 10, 2007

My very worst and saddest habit is shopping with friends for clothes when I have no money. For fun I will pick up the most expensive item in the store and try it on while they try their more reasonably priced garments.
I find that there's nothing more dull than waiting for friends to try on clothes because they dress with the speed of a lethargic turtle. That's right, not just a regular turtle but a sleepy, dopey one that gets confused half way through the process and has to start all over again so they remember what it is they're doing.

This game of dress-up always spells heartbreak for me, because as it turns out, i would have fantastic taste in clothes if i was a millionaire and could afford to spend $1200 on a slip dress.

Yesterday's effort was on a shopping trip to purchase a dress for a friend's wedding. I had already bought the trusty reliable old favourite - the sensibly priced little black dress - a few weeks earlier, so we were shopping for my best friend. After loitering around various stores looking like a bit of a change-room stalker, I decided that it was time for the old 'try on a dress that's worth more than my car' routine. We had entered a department store that has a large designer clothes section, so while my friend tried on affordable clothes, I picked out a very cute dusky-pink dress from the 'can we check your credit card limit before we let you in' section and headed for the change-rooms.

Sadly, as fate would have it, my taste had remained impeccable and the dress was absolutely stunning. It was without a doubt the most comfortable, cute and sexy dress I've ever had the opportunity to wear. Even more sadly, being comfortable, cute and sexy comes with a price tag of just a little over $800. I danced around the change rooms umming and aaahhing over whether or not I would buy it (a well rehearsed show for the benefit of the store staff) and found that I didn't really want to take it off. I began to wonder if maybe I could just leave wearing the dress without anyone noticing. I began to think of ways that I could afford to buy the dress, like getting a second job or a second credit card or selling some body parts. Who really needs their liver, right?
It was at about this stage that my best friend emerged from her change room, saw me dancing around contemplating how to sell my soul for a designer dress and dragged me back into the change room to take it off before its evil spell took hold completely.

She dragged me out of the store and we continued on with our shopping. I spent the rest of the trip picking out and trying on accessories that I would never buy for a dress that I will never own.

Today I will feel a little like I'm cheating on my good old reliable black dress, because although I will be wearing it, I will secretly be thinking about wearing another.

4 comments:

Badaunt said...

I never shop for clothes alone any more if I can help it. I'm too horribly bad at it. But there is only one friend I want to shop with - she is brilliant at picking things up off the rack (that I had already looked at and discarded) and saying 'Try this on,' and I have learned to always do what she says, because she is almost always right.

She found a wonderful shop that sold end-of-line designer stuff, and I got a couple of things there I've been wearing ever since. One is a skirt that originally cost well over A$600 but was less than $100, and the other was a pair of cords that were originally around $500, down to $70. She had been following me through the racks, and picked them both up after I'd discarded them. "Nah," I said. "Not for me. I'd look silly in that. And those are too small."

Wrong. Wrong. They were perfect.

Unfortunately that shop seems to be now selling only fabrics. I'll have to go shopping with my friend again and find some new favourite places.

When you get the really expensive designer stuff, you notice the difference in quality when it comes to wear. Those two items still look and feel brand new.

(But I would never pay the original price...)

said...

Sorry for the late reply. Your guess on the penny jug was fairly close... I think there's about $250.00 in it. I guess it would have been more fair if I waited until the jug was completely full before I asked for guesses. Oh well. Thanks for the comment and I hope your neighbor's dog finally lost it's voice.

Badaunt said...

Just popping in to say that I have FINALLY re-added you to my blogroll.

torrygirl said...

I wish I could find somewhere that sold designer stuff that cheap! The latest thing to pop up everywhere in oz are these 'factory direct' shopping centres that are supposed to be clearance places for the big names, but are just regular stores disguised as discount stores.

Post a Comment