Tea for Two (Thousand)

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Tonight I'm watching elderly British ladies pretending not to be ecstatic that their mother's mother's grandfather's brother's kitschy tea pot is worth 2000 pounds. I love the guilty look that they give when the valuer says 'unfortunately it seems to have been scoured with steel wool at some point which has faded the pattern and halved the value' and you know that they were the ones who did it an hour earlier in an attempt to clean it up before bringing it on to the Antiques Roadshow.

I've always wondered, what does one do with a 2000 pound teapot? Once they tell you that your ugly old china is worth a mint, do you immediately sell it? Or do you put it back into the cupboard where it has always lived because it was too ugly to have out in public and forget about it? More importantly, if you did try to sell it, would there actually be anyone out there who would want to purchase it? Surely there has to be some kind of limit to the market for crusty old tea pots with satanic looking clowns painted on the side.

Collecting things seems to be a hobby of choice. I'm thinking i might take up collecting something, just as soon as I can think of something worth collecting. Thoughts so far include stubby holders (very useful), spoons (will be the envy of my nursing home when I'm 90) or toenails (seem suitably disgusting). I've excluded newspapers (fire hazard) and empty bottles/cans (stupid and pointless). Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Badaunt said...

You never know what will become valuable. (To some, that is.) Toys of some description?

The Man doesn't like to visit flea markets or antique fairs, because he keeps seeing things that he chucked away when he was a kid, now worth big ¥¥¥¥¥. And then I yell at him for throwing him away because WE COULD HAVE BEEN RICH, YOU STUPID BUGGER!

torrygirl said...

I like the idea of collecting toys - Although I think they only stay valuable if you don't play with them and there's no fun in that!

Post a Comment