Thriller Movie Moment

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

This morning I had a brief thriller movie kind of moment. I was standing at the kitchen bench making coffee, staring vacantly into nothingness. I can't seem to function properly without my coffee in the morning, so I was not entirely awake yet, which may account for some of the following story.
There I was making my coffee, minding my own business when I glanced up out of the window, and made eye contact with someone.

After jumping quietly 10 feet into the air and out of my skin, my morning brain kicked into sluggish action and began registering what it was seeing. It was the neighbours cat. End thriller movie moment. I side-stepped back into my skin, pulled it close around me and looked back out the window at it. It was sitting calmly in the middle of the courtyard peering at me through the window and it wasn't blinking. Eerie.*

Not to be outdone by a podgy, staring calico cat, I thought to myself 'I can beat a cat in a staring contest' and I began to stare back. I had never tried to out-stare a cat before, so was completely unaware that doing this to a cat is a little like trying to out-stare a small child. A cat, like a child, just looks straight at you without embarrassment. It stares right into you in a way that is downright creepy. I could have sworn that it was trying to read my thoughts - and maybe it could. It had a calm, all-knowing gaze and it didn't break eye contact for a second.

The cat continued to stare straight back at me until my coffee was ready and i was forced to look away. When I looked back, he was padding quietly away. All of sudden, he stopped, looked back over his shoulder (do cats have shoulders?) and I swear to you that he made a sudden karate chop move with his front paw. The cat was trying to psych me out! If he could of spoken at that moment I know he would have said 'hyyyy-ahh!'.

He stared for a moment longer and then disappeared from sight. Next time it will be me who tries to psych him out. If only I can work out how to psych out a cat....


* note: eeriness of said moment may be attributed to not knowing whether or not cats blink

1 comments:

Badaunt said...

That happened to me once here when I had paused typing and was staring at the screen window. It was dark outside, and suddenly I became aware that someone was staring back. What made it even freakier was that I am upstairs.

There was a ginger cat on the roof outside my window, with its nose right up against the screen. I don't know how it got up there.

We did the staring thing, too. And yes, it is eerie.

Post a Comment