Hot Stuff

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I can't be 100% certain, but I think my eyeballs are sweating.

They must be, because every other part of my body seems to be. The weather here is freakishly hot considering it's not even summer yet. Yesterday was 37°C (that's 98.6°F for those of you who insist on using weird measurements just like my 1970's oven) and today was 35°. This is allegedly spring weather, but there is nothing springy going on around here because everyone is too hot to be bouncy.

The most irritating thing about the heat is the fact that both yesterday and today I was stuck in a traffic jam on the way home from work. It took me over an hour to get home both days (a 30 min. trip) and my car doesn't have air conditioning. In fact, it has a heater that insists on working even when it isn't turned on. This is very practical in winter, but in summer it means that my legs feel as though they are on fire for the majority of each trip. I was hoping to save this joyous phenomena for the summer months but alas, global warming has other plans.

If weather like this (and worse) is what is in store for summer, then I think I might have to consider migrating somewhere colder for the summer - like into my refrigerator.

1 comments:

Badaunt said...

It's hard to imagine the heat now that winter has more or less arrived here. We've had the heater going for a couple of weeks, now.

But be careful of the no airconditioning thing in your car. One of my friends here had a job over the summer as a delivery truck driver one year. The truck had no air conditioning, and he ended up after a few weeks being hospitalized with heat exhaustion. I'd been away for the summer, and when I came back I didn't recognize him. He'd lost so much weight his face had caved in.

It wasn't heat stroke, and that was the tricky bit. Apparently heat exhaustion sort of creeps up on you. Your body just gets tired of coping with constant heat, I suppose.

But here the nights don't really get cool. The temperature only goes down to about 25 or 26, and the humidity goes up. And he didn't have air conditioning at home, either, which meant he never got any respite.

Post a Comment