Internet Withdrawl

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My internet connection at work has been dropping in and out for the last two days, and when it is working, it’s super slow. This is a very bad thing. The days are incredibly long when I don’t have the wonder of the internet to entertain me while I wait for my computer to complete processor-heavy tasks.
I don’t even have solitaire on my computer, so every 10 minutes or so, I find myself staring blankly at the screen while I wait.

I notice lots of little things that I didn’t before. For example, the guy who sits opposite me clears his throat at least 15 times per minute. The guy who sits next to me has a mouse that clicks really really loudly. The guy sitting opposite me often sings along with the radio at a volume which I’m pretty sure he thinks no one else can hear, but which allows me to hear that he’s bordering on tone-deaf.

These are all things I’ve blocked out by using the internet to distract me. The big question is, once the internet is working again, will I be able to go back to ignoring these things? Or am I doomed to slowly and surely go crazy from the constant “Ahem, click-click, La-la-la”?

And even more importantly, what the hell can I do to keep me amused without the internet?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment