A New Niece

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I have a brand new Niece! She was born yesterday morning. She’s a cute little thing - I even held her (briefly). Usually I refuse to hold babies because they kind of freak me out, but with every baby my Brother & Sister-in-law have, I get ever so slightly less freaked out by them. If only they would have 20 or 30 more so that I could get properly used to them.

Babies are cute and stuff, but it would be great if you could skip that whole first bit where they’re so small and breakable and smelly and goo-ey, and skip right to the bit where they can go to the toilet on their own and tell you if they want something instead of just crying. I can barely look after myself let alone a little person who needs things all the time and can’t tell you what they are.

I guess what I'm saying is that babies are really so much nicer when they belong to someone else.

2 comments:

said...

Conrats on being an aunt... again. One of the few things I remember about the Northern Exposure TV series is when O'Connell says to Fleischman, "Babies are germs in foot pajamas and they smell funny." I'm about to post how I'm finally getting caught up on that series.

torrygirl said...

From memory, in that same episode someone hands her a baby and she just sort of holds it away from her and doesn't know what to do with it.

That's pretty much what I've always been like with babies.

Post a Comment