Nameless Newbie

Monday, November 29, 2010

A new guy started out in the factory this morning to give us a hand in the lead up to Christmas.

The boss came in after lunch and asked me to print out an invitation to our staff Christmas party for him. The only trouble is, the new guy has a very unusual, very foreign name. In order to print an invitation for him, I need to know how to spell that very unusual name. Given that it’s such an unusual name, there’s no problem with simply asking him how to spell it, right?

Except that his name is so incredibly foreign and unusual, that I can’t even remember what it is. I can’t very well say ‘hey you! How do you spell your name, er... mate?’

I’m sure that it starts with ‘L’ and that it has a weird noise at the end, like ‘oomp’ or ‘oof’, but that’s no help to me. How exactly do you go about finding out someone’s name without letting them know that you don’t know it?

2 comments:

said...

I'd find out where he lives and go to his home and open his mailbox. Or, just say, "Dude, I didn't get your name." If it's as wild as you say it is, he's probably used to people asking. Trust me, I know.

torrygirl said...

Ah, stalking him - there's an idea I hadn't thought of!

I'm thinking of going with the sneaky reconnaissance option and get someone else to find out what his name is for me. That way I don't look like an idiot and he gets the thrill of thinking someone was familiar with his really odd name.

Post a Comment