Australia Day 2010

Monday, January 25, 2010

It’s the Monday morning before a public holiday, and because of the fact that I’ve run out of annual leave, I’m pretty much the only person in Australia who’s working. So I’m using that time wisely to do things like update my blog, and surf the web. So I guess I’m working just about as hard as everyone else. Ah well, it’s the Australian way.


Tomorrow is Australia Day, which really means we get the day off to have a BBQ and listen to one of the myriad of music choices available on the day. The big one is the Triple J Hottest 100 which is counted down every year on Australia Day. Triple J is Australia’s big alternative music station, and I hold a kind of secret hatred for it because much like Mac users, Triple J listeners are interminably smug. They are over the top anti-commercial-radio, which annoys the hell out of me, because every comment they make seems as though it’s designed to put you down for daring to listen to anything else.

It’s a shame really, because they play a lot of good music, but the attitude of the average Triple J listener really puts me off. My best friend is a Triple J listener and she complained nonstop when she had to stop listening to the countdown in order to go out to a hen’s night drink-a-thon that she wasn’t even paying for!


Anyway, enough of my ranting about Triple J. The other radio stations are all doing best of Australian music countdowns, which I’m looking forward to because there is a hell of a lot of awesome Australian music that, as demonstrated in my previous posts, I mostly had no idea was Aussie.

So I suggest that even if you don’t live in Australia, you should spend tomorrow cooking some lamb chops on the BBQ, drinking beer and listening to some good, Aussie music.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya. Back in the olden days (late 80's) WFNX in Boston was truly indie and non-commercial, not the pseudo-self-congratulatory-non-commerical station it is now. I get irked at people who roll their eyes at every catchy song they hear and complain about how that band was good when they were independent but they've sold out. Because, um, they need to eat?!? Shut your pie hole, pretentious suburban wannabees!

said...

Sorry to read about your work enviroment.

I went to the Triple J website and went through their Unearthed Jukebox for about 150 songs. I think I found about a dozen bands I need to check more into. I just might have to post a "down under" series on The Opening Acts. I'm continuously lacking fodder for posts and this might keep me occupied for a bit. Thanks!

torrygirl said...

Anon - that's my main problem with these people. As if a song can suddenly start to suck just because more people like what they do.

Tyge - unearthed is great, I have the unearthed app on my iPod and you can stream all the songs and just hit the download button when you find one you like. I'll definitely keep an eye out to see what you post!

Post a Comment