Nice Night

Monday, January 11, 2010

It’s nearly 11:30pm and the temperature here is sitting at around 36 degrees. Stepping outside it’s a lot like a very nice summer’s day, except that trying to frolic in the sunshine leaves you with a high probability of ending up with a broken bone of some sort, because it’s pitch black outside.

When the weather is like this, it seems like a waste to sleep. I feel like I need to go out and do something, only I’m at a loss for what I should do. I’m thinking maybe it would be a good night to go out and take some photos, but I don’t have a tripod and it’s a little hard to take photos in the dark without one.

It’s nights like this that I miss being closer to the city. I would love to be able to step outside and stroll around knowing that things would be open and there would be things to do. Instead I live in the outer suburbs, where the only thing open at this time of night is the local pub, which is full of bogans.

Really, I’m like two different people stuffed into one body. On one hand, I’m the lazy homebody who likes nothing better than to sit down with a good book and do absolutely nothing for hours and hours on end. On the other hand, I’m also this person who longs for something more fun to do – to go out and wander the city, being caught up in the constant movement of it all. I want to live near a whole heap of cool bars that I can just walk to whenever I feel the urge. Here, I have 2 pubs within walking distance, but they’re the kind that are full of old men with only half their teeth who spend their evenings drinking cheap beer and betting on dog races.

I’m sure there must be some compromise between the two. Maybe I need to wander around the streets with a book while drinking beer. Not sure how well that would work. Maybe I’ll give it a go. It’s such a nice night, after all...

0 comments:

Post a Comment