Back at it

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I’m back at a work and already it feels like I never even had a holiday. It doesn’t take long to slip back into all the old habits –singing out loud on the way to work, 5 hour long meetings with no point, too many cups of coffee and secretly wearing my slippers under the desk where no one can see my feet.

The only thing that felt any different yesterday on my first day back was that I was a little more relaxed than on a regular working day. It took me most of my 3 and a half weeks of holiday to wind down and by the time I did, it was time to go back to work.

That relaxed feeling has been obliterated now from being thrown headlong back into pointless tasks by my doddering boss. I feel as though I spend a great deal of time humouring him and his crazy ideas while trying to get my real work done. It’s like some movie where the multi-million dollar corporation is owned by the crazy old timer in the wheelchair and they nod and smile at him while some sleazy manager is making all the real decisions behind his back. Although that would make me the sleazy manager, so maybe it’s not like that at all, since I’m not a manager and I’m reasonably sure I’m not sleazy.

Actually I shouldn’t be saying all of this, because if there’s one thing those sorts of movies teach you, it’s that the sleazy manager always gets his come-uppance.

So.....Work is fine. My boss is wonderful.
Really.

0 comments:

Post a Comment