Hail, flash floods and their effects on cognitive powers

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

This weekend just gone was the three day Labour Day weekend. Ordinarily I would spend it catching up with friends but instead, thanks to freak weather storms that brought tennis ball sized hail and flash flooding I spent a good portion of the weekend holding a bucket up to my front window to stop the rain from flooding the lounge room.

We were lucky to avoid this kind of hail at our house, but the bottom of our street had a river running through it. We live in a sort of valley, and our house is on a pretty steep slope so luckily it didn’t affect us, but not so much our neighbours who had a small river running past their front doors.


When the rain eased off a bit, we were finally able to go to bed, although I didn’t really sleep much, because the rain was so heavy on the roof that the sound kept waking me up.

And my total lack of sleep is pretty well summed up by this wonderful moment of heightened intelligence:
I woke up to the radio alarm blaring. The news was on and the announcer said something to the effect of “and this weekend brought us the eighty second academy awards” and I thought to myself “Wow, how did they fit the whole thing into eighty seconds?”

Clearly I need to go back to bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment