Q & A time

Sunday, March 21, 2010

To answer a few email questions I got about my last post:
Yes, I genuinely would use this as a profile. No point meeting someone without a sense of humour. I read it over and asked myself if KJ would have responded to a profile like that, and when I decided he would, I figured I was on the right track.

Yes, 42 seems like a pretty random number. Actually, it should probably have been 43 since I'm turning 28 in a couple of weeks. I have a theory on age differences - they don't matter at all until you start to approach the kind of age difference where the person could just as easily have been your father/mother. I figure this change for being about 18 years, so 15 years difference is where I would draw the line. Also most of my friends are at the higher end of the 15 year bracket. Either I'm more mature than most people my own age, or my friends are more immature than people their age. The jury is still out on that one.

No, 45 is too far and even if it wasn't, I'm not interested. Thanks for your kind, if slightly pervy offer.




You know what I think is cool about internet dating? You get all the awkward stuff out of the way before you even meet. There's no awkward third date where you realise that he wants kids and you don't or that she has 15 cats and you're allergic. It would save a lot of time.
I have two friends who have broken up a couple of times over the past 3 or 4 years because they found out they wanted different things. Basically, he doesn't want to get married or have kids and she does (in fact he tried to get a vasectomy when he was 23 without telling her, but that's a whole other story). But because they were already so deep into their relationship when they found this out, they haven't been able to bring themselves to split up for good. Now they live together. Can you imagine what will happen in a few years when she's ready to start having kids? If only they'd met on a dating website, they wouldn't have this problem. And I wouldn't have the problem of consoling them both on their annual break up only to have them get back together again the next day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment