Life Long

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Today I had a follow up appointment with the Doctor about my stupid illness. I was hoping this was the point where she would tell me that I could stop popping pills like an 80 year old, but instead, it went something like this:

Her: Good news! You can stop taking all those pills!
Me: Great! I was hoping you would say that!
Her: But....you'll have to start taking this other medication.
Me: *sigh* Ok. So how long do I need to take this one for?
Her: Well, there's a chance that it could be permanent.
Me: Permanent? As in...
Her: You might need to take it for the rest of your life.

What the hell!!? You can't just spring that on someone as though it's no big deal! I mean, how many things are you expected to commit to for an entire lifetime? Think about it - in the course of your life so far, how often has a genuinely permanent decision come along?


Things I have committed to for the rest of my life:
1. Being married to KJ. I know that nowadays marriage isn't always a permanent thing, but for me it was a decision about the rest of my life and that's the way I treated it.


That's it. One. That is the one and only lifetime commitment I have ever made. Other commitments may have been long term, but never life long!

Needless to say, having that sprung on you on a Tuesday morning is not a great way to start the week. In two months I'll be heading back to see her again and I'll hopefully know then whether my second life long commitment will be about something as crap as medication.

2 comments:

said...

Depending on your affliction, you should look into other alternatives. Alot of times, taking certain vitamins or changing your diet can help. I think they make a vitamin for almost anything, and even though they may not be officially approved by the powers that be, I've seen them work first-hand on a friend, who should be dead by now from prostate cancer.

torrygirl said...

I'd love to be able to change the pills for something like that - it's a lot more appealing than taking a synthetic substance for the rest of my life. And I can imagine it would be a hell of a lot more appealing than the alternative for people with cancer.

It's not really an option for me though, unfortunately.

Post a Comment