Something -in-law

Sunday, August 16, 2009

It’s funny how quickly the days can get away from you, isn’t it? I can’t believe it’s Sunday already, and that we’re in the middle of August.

This means it’s only 5 weeks until my mother-in-law’s wedding. I’ve been thinking about it a lot and have a family relationships question. I have both a mother-in law and a father-in-law. They are divorced and now my mother-in-law is marrying her boyfriend (the minister). Once they are married, does this mean that he then becomes my father-in-law or my step-father -in-law? Or maybe something different all together? If he becomes my second father-in-law, this leaves me with the possibility of having two mother-in-laws, and although I get along fine with my current mother-in-law, there is a certain negative connotation that goes with mothers-in-law that means that having two is probably not anyone’s preferred situation.

I can’t imagine anyone becoming a step-father when his wife’s kids are already adults, because there is little fathering left to do once they’re at that age. There must be some other title for him to go by when I need to explain his relationship to me. I know it won’t come up in conversation very often, but when it does, I need to have some way of describing our relationship.

Maybe mother-in-law’s-husband-in law?

0 comments:

Post a Comment