Wonderful Weekend

Monday, August 10, 2009

I had the most amazing time on the weekend. The Whitlams were phenomenal. Tim Freedman is such a fantastic live singer, I felt like I could have been listening to an album in my own home – I mean, aside from the fact that I was pressed up against a thong of half drunken strangers with barely enough room to sway to the music. That doesn’t usually happen at home.

So my concerns about keeping up with my best friend’s champion drinking ability were well founded - It turns out that I really am a cheap drunk, and that all it takes is 3 beers to get me to a very jolly stage of drunkenness. It might sound a bit sad, but it’s very budget friendly, so I don’t mind too much. It does make me wonder what has changed over the last decade to decrease my tolerance for alcohol, but I’m just going to put it down to the fact that I don’t drink as much as I used to.

The friend who I went to the Whitlams concert with has recently moved into a shared apartment in the city, which is where I spent the night after the show. It’s such a different world to where we live. She lives in a three bedroom apartment, with one very small shared living/dining/kitchen area. It really struck me what a different sort of lifestyle you lead when you live in the middle of the city. Three of them share this one small space – none of them have a car, they catch public transport everywhere. They very infrequently cook, instead eating out most nights. They go out drinking three or four nights a week, they all work odd hours.

Now this might be a weird thing to say, but the apartment sounded really strange. It had that sort of dull nothingness sound – the quiet hum of thick concrete walls and ventilated air. I’m not used to that, because we live in the very outer suburbs where there is a lot of fresh air and light and space - and also a lot of really irritating dogs barking all the time. I expected to ehar a lot of city noise, but there wasn’t really anything at all, just an odd absence of noise with the occasional distant cough coming through.

It was really interesting, because it’s so different from the way KJ and I live, and despite the fact that I don’t think I could ever do it long term, I did enjoy it for the short time that I was there. I liked the convenience of everything. For us it’s a good 30-40 minute drive to get to the city, so if we want to do something different, it’s a big deal rather than just a stroll down the road. It would be nice to be able to find a hundred things to do on a Saturday night all within walking distance.
I might have to go and visit her more often.


I thought I’d leave you with a Whitlams song so that you could get a glimpse of what my awesome weekend was like.



0 comments:

Post a Comment